Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A little slice of "English" heaven

My hubby took me out on a date last night, and I must say, it was a little slice of heaven. :) We went to the Mall here in Americana, which is a big hang-out place for lots of people. It's THE place to go in the evenings. (I think it's because it's air conditioned.) I love going there, not to shop, but people watch. And let me tell you, brazilian people watching is highly entertaining! I love watching the women walking around in their high heel/strappy sandals and dresses. (Yes, women REALLY dress-up to go out here...........even to shop.) I'm just impressed they can walk for long periods of time in those shoes! Very impressive!

Anyway, there is a movie theater in the mall. When we visited Brazil when we were first married I remember Renato telling me that the movies here are in English, then Portuguese is in sub-titles. I thought this was kind of odd for them, but GREAT for me! So last night felt a little like being back in the good ol' U. S. of A. We got popcorn (here they don't smother the popcorn in butter, so that was good), Peanut M & M's (I couldn't believe they had REAL M&M's because I hadn't seen any US candy here yet, so I was VERY excited), and Fanta to drink. I'm not sure why, but when I'm in foreign countries, I love drinking Fanta. It's my beverage of choice, although they have my Diet Coke here too, I'd just rather drink Fanta. So the seats were big and cushy, just like the newer theaters in C/S, and as I was praying during the previews (that the movie really was in English), when the movie started I held my breath, waiting for the sound of English...........and there it was!!!!! I took a deep breath of relief and sat back and enjoyed the movie, popcorn, M&M's, and Fanta, all the while feeling like I was back in the U.S.

It really was a little slice of "English" heaven. Unless you've been in a foreign country for a long period of time, you have no idea how tired your brain gets from trying to figure out what everyone is saying. So last night, my brain got a break and I was able to enjoy a wonderful evening with my husband.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh girl! I know how it is. Unfortunately they only release movies in Germany in German. I watched Die Hard 4 with Bruce Willis speaking German! It gets better. One day you will be talking to your mom on the phone and struggle forget the English word for things. You will do great!

Stacey said...

What a blessing to get to watch the movie in English!!!